Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Wheel of Choice

This weeks tool: The Wheel of Choice is an actual physical tool that puts many of the other Positive Discipline Tools together.  It is a hands on approach to giving children the power of choice.  Basically it is an actual wheel, much like a board game spinner, that is divided into options for your child to choose when has lost control of themselves in their current situation.  There are 14 different problem solving choices that can be taught to children in your home or in a classroom.  Just like the Montessori concept,  "knowledge precedes choice", once children have knowledge of each choice they can use this information to solve their own problems.

A few of may favorite choices are: Ask for help, Count to ten, Say what you want, and Try again.  These don't really need much explanation, but take a moment to think about how powerful they can be to a child who has flipped his lid.

I have not gotten around to setting this up yet in my home.  We have done the training and have an arsenal tools we could put on our own wheel.  I am sure this could help with some of the heightened emotions that have been in our home since the introduction of our second child.  I really should get to this...  I will let you know when I do and how it goes, I promise.

Next week:  Act without words, I'll say no more...

1 comment:

  1. I really like the concept of effectively addressing what to do when a child loses control.Everyone loses control in life. I wonder if children can be helped to be aware early that it happens to everybody.I like the ideas given to help children to calm down and to move on.Would it be possible for people to help each other in a compaasionate way when we get upset instead of using punishment?The social behavior of ignoring others when a behavior is determined to be socially unacceptable can be painful.Often people need a cooling off time and quietly allowing them to do so can be helpful. but when people are upset they need acknowledgement in some form.If children are taught self-control early on tantrums might not be carried over into adulthood.

    ReplyDelete