Some identifying characteristics of the Montessori Method of Education include:
- Mixed age groups
- Three year cycle in one classroom
- Individual lessons, following the interest/development of each child
- Emphasis on independence in the child
- Child sized materials and furniture
- Self-correcting materials
- Real materials, made with wood, glass, metal
- Three hour work cycle each day
MM never called her method "The Montessori Method", if anything she referred to it as the children's method. She felt that it was the children who showed her the way to educate them, the children learned spontaneously through manipulation of the materials. She wrote many books to share her philosophy on educating and raising children. Some of my favorites are listed on my book list.
There is so much more to say about what Montessori is and means to me, but that is enough for now.